13 Great Uses for ABV Weed: How to Use Your Herbs Twice
Already-been-vaped weed — or ABV for short — is something that you’re going to have plenty of when you switch from smoking your buds to vaping them. Don’t throw away your ABV herbs! Unlike smoking, one of the best parts of vaping is that you can actually use all of your cannabis twice. Considering today’s dispensary prices, ABV weed sounds like a pretty good thing to us. After you finish using your dry herb vaporizer, dump its contents into a clean jar and save them for use in one of our best ABV recipes.
Table of Contents
- Using Your ABV Marijuana: Tips and Tricks
- What Does Using ABV Weed Feel Like?
- Edibles Affect the Body Slowly
- Having a Good Experience With ABV Weed
- How to Know the Potency of Your ABV Weed
- Water Curing Your ABV Cannabis
- 13 Great ABV Uses
- 1. ABV Capsules
- 2. ABV Milkshake Recipes
- 3. ABV Tincture Recipe
- 4. ABV Hard Candy Recipe
- 5. ABV Firecracker Recipe
- 6. ABV Oil or Cannabutter Recipe
- 7. ABV Brownies Recipe
- 8. ABV Popcorn Recipe
- 9. ABV Guacamole Recipe
- 10. ABV Coffee Recipe
- 11. ABV Spice Rub Recipe
- 12. Can You Smoke ABV Weed?
- 13. How to Make ABV Compost
Using Your ABV Marijuana: Tips and Tricks
What Does Using ABV Weed Feel Like?
ABV affects people in different ways. After consuming a reasonable amount of ABV buds, most people report an alert high with full-body relaxation that comes on slowly and takes a very long time to subside. Some report feeling nothing at all. If you feel nothing after eating ABV weed, eat it with a little more fat next time. Remember that cannabinoids are fat soluble.
Edibles Affect the Body Slowly
When you eat cannabis — whether it’s ABV or not — it’s important to remember that it can take a long time to feel the full effects. Some people with slow-moving digestive systems report feeling nothing for up to 12 hours after eating ABV buds, although the effects usually set in more quickly than that.
Having a Good Experience With ABV Weed
Don’t go crazy when you eat your ABV weed for the first time. Start with a small amount, wait for an entire day and evaluate your experience. Adjust your dosage accordingly. It’s common for people to eat too much when trying edibles for the first time. They fall asleep and wake up in the middle of an extremely powerful and unpleasant high. Don’t let that happen to you! Start slowly.
How to Know the Potency of Your ABV Weed
To guess the potency of your ABV weed, first consider how potent it was when you originally vaped it. When you turn your ABV cannabis into edibles, you’ll most likely experience a similar sensation that comes on more slowly, has a lower peak and takes longer to end.
Your utilization of the weed is also a factor. Is the weed still light in colour, with a slight green hue? You’ve barely vaped it, so it should still be rich in beneficial cannabinoids. If it’s black and ashy, you’ve smoked it. It’s compost. Some people vape their herbs only slightly because they actually prefer the effects of ABV edibles.
Water Curing Your ABV Cannabis
When you read about ways to use ABV weed online, you’ll often see the term “water curing.” If you don’t like the taste of cannabis edibles, water curing is definitely something that you need to try. Most of the taste in cannabis comes from components such as chlorophyll that have no psychoactive properties. Those components are water soluble, but cannabinoids are fat soluble — so you can remove the unpleasant flavour without affecting the potency of your herbs.
- Fill a nylon stocking with ABV weed.
- Place the stocking in a large jar of water. You may need to weigh the stocking down. The water will gradually darken and give off an unpleasant smell.
- Empty the water and refill the jar a few times per day. After several days of water changes, the water will remain clear and will no longer smell foul.
- Dry the water-cured ABV to prevent mould growth. Heat your oven to the lowest setting, and put your herbs on a baking sheet.
- Bake with the oven door slightly ajar, stirring the herbs frequently, for about two hours until the cannabis is completely dry.
Some people advocate freezing water-cured ABV weed to further aid extraction. Grind your ABV buds to a fine powder, and use the powder in any of the recipes in this article.
13 Great ABV Weed Uses
1. ABV Capsules
ABV capsules are perfect if you’ve tried edibles and don’t like the flavour. Capsules allow you to swallow your weed without eating it, and you can take the capsules anywhere.
- Buy some size 00 capsules and a capsule filler from a local pharmacy.
- Use a coffee grinder to reduce your buds to a fine powder.
- Fill the capsules according to the capsule filler’s instructions.
- Take one capsule at a time until you’ve gauged the effects.
2. ABV Milkshake Recipes
Cannabis loves fat. If you consume fat when eating cannabis, your body will process more of the cannabinoids during the digestion process — and if you ask us, there’s no better fatty food than ice cream.
Easy ABV Milkshake Recipe
- Grind your ABV finely.
- Buy a milkshake from the local fast food joint.
- Stir in the powder and enjoy.
Home-Made ABV Milkshake Recipe
- Place a scoop of ice cream in a blender.
- Add some ABV powder and a generous amount of milk. Some people also enjoy making ABV milkshakes with peanut butter and/or Nutella.
- Blend until smooth.
3. ABV Tincture Recipe
You can use a strong drinking alcohol such as Everclear or Bacardi 151 to make an ABV tincture that’s quite potent in low amounts. Start by grinding your herbs to a fine powder. Combine the powder with some alcohol in a blender. Pulse the blender for several minutes to break down the herbs. Pour the mixture into a sterile jar, seal the jar and wait for about two weeks.
After two weeks, open the jar and allow half of the alcohol to evaporate. Pour the remaining mixture through a coffee filter, and add a few drops of flavouring concentrate to the tincture if desired to improve the taste. Consume your ABV tincture a few drops at a time until you gauge its effect.
4. ABV Hard Candy Recipe
Would you like to do something with your ABV tincture that’s more fun than just swallowing it? ABV hard candy is a delicious and fun treat.
- Melt your favourite hard candy over medium-low heat in a non-stick pan or double boiler.
- Turn off the heat, and stir in your tincture after evaporating almost all of the alcohol.
- Pour the mixture into a silicone mould to harden.
- Pop out the candies, wrap in wax paper and enjoy.
If you have trouble getting your candies to solidify, reduce the amount of tincture that you use or allow the alcohol to evaporate further.
5. ABV Firecracker Recipe
Second perhaps only to the weed brownie, the firecracker is among the most beloved of all edible cannabis snacks.
- Spread some peanut butter or Nutella on a graham cracker.
- Sprinkle your herbs on top.
- Wrap the firecracker in foil, and bake it for about five minutes.
- Allow your ABV firecracker to cool slightly before enjoying it.
6. ABV Oil or Cannabutter Recipe
Since cannabinoids are fat soluble, infusing your ABV weed in oil is one of the best ways of extracting every last beneficial compound.
- Place the fat of your choice in a pan. Butter and coconut oil are the two most popular options, but you can also use olive oil or any other oil you like.
- Heat the fat on low, and add water-cured and dried cannabis. Alternatively, you can add cannabis and water if you want to skip water curing.
- Keep the pan on low heat, stirring frequently, for about three hours. Don’t allow the oil to burn or the mixture to boil.
- Pour the mixture through a coffee filter into a tempered glass bowl. Discard the used herbs.
- Allow the mixture to solidify in the refrigerator if you’re using butter or coconut oil. If you used water in your mixture, the oil will float on top and form a puck.
- Wrap the oil in parchment, or pour it into a bottle.
- Bake with the oil, or use it as a finishing oil. Do not use it for high-heat cooking.
7. ABV Brownies Recipe
The pot brownie is probably the most famous of all cannabis edibles. You can use a boxed brownie mix if you like — just substitute all of the fat in the recipe with ABV cannabutter or oil — but brownies are easy to make from scratch.
ABV Brownies Ingredients
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup ABV cannabutter or oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
ABV Brownies Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 180° C.
- Prepare a brownie pan by rubbing the sides and bottom with grease. Sprinkle flour into the pan through a sieve.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a mixing bowl. Mix with a whisk.
- Combine the sugar with the melted butter and mix thoroughly.
- Break the eggs into another mixing bowl and beat.
- Combine the eggs, butter, sugar and vanilla. If the butter is still hot enough to cook the eggs, temper the eggs by adding a small amount of butter at a time.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the brownie mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies until the top is shiny and somewhat cracked. An inserted toothpick should come out clean. It will take about 25-30 minutes.
- Cool, cut and enjoy your ABV brownies.
8. ABV Popcorn Recipe
Is there a better salty, crunchy snack than popcorn? We don’t think so. With ABV popcorn — we like to call it “potcorn” — you can get the munchies and cure them at the same time.
- Combine generous equal portions of plain oil and ABV cannabutter or oil in a saucepan with a lid. Heat the oil over low heat. Do not allow the oil to smoke.
- Add some popcorn to the pan. The popcorn should sizzle quietly. Place the lid on the pan.
- Slide the pan back and forth periodically to redistribute the popcorn and prevent burning. With preheated oil, the popcorn should begin popping fairly quickly.
- When a few seconds elapse between pops, pour the popcorn into a bowl. Top with salt.
9. ABV Guacamole Recipe
Rich, fatty avocado is the perfect food for helping you extract the last bits of goodness out of your ABV weed. Use your guacamole as a topping on taco night, or just dig in with some tortilla chips.
- Place two ripe avocados in a bowl.
- Mash the avocados with a fork or wooden pestle. Leave the mixture slightly chunky.
- Add some chopped tomatoes, pressed garlic, lime juice, cilantro and salt.
- Add some liquid ABV cannabis oil.
- Stir the mixture until combined.
Some people are sensitive to the flavour of cilantro. If you prefer, you can use parsley instead.
10. ABV Coffee Recipe
Can you extract ABV weed with coffee? You bet! Coffee contains oils that can help to extract the fat-soluble compounds from cannabis. Simply put your water-cured cannabis in a French press with some ground coffee and water heated to a little below the boiling point. If you want an even better experience, though, you can use your cream as the medium for extracting the marijuana.
- Pour some whipping cream, half and half or milk into a saucepan. Heat the cream on low.
- Add your ABV cannabis directly to the cream. Simmer, stirring frequently, for several minutes.
- Add the cream to your coffee using a sieve to filter out the cannabis solids.
11. ABV Spice Rub Recipe
Making an oil infusion isn’t the only way to cook with cannabis; you can actually eat the cannabis directly as well. Try adding ground, water-cured ABV weed to a spice rub. Use the spice rub to flavour slow-roasted barbecue, or sprinkle it over your huevos rancheros. Combine your ABV weed with equal parts of:
- Freshly ground pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Brown sugar
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Chilli powder
Season the mixture generously with salt.
12. Can You Smoke ABV Weed?
Yes, you can. Smoking your ABV weed negates the effect of buying a great dry herb vaporizer, though, so we don’t recommend it. Also, weed that’s already vaped no longer has its original herbal flavour. Most people find the taste of smoked ABV weed quite unpalatable. Also, remember that smoking your ABV weed will not produce a very strong effect. Most uses for ABV weed involve concentrating the compounds from large amounts of used herbs.
13. How to Make ABV Compost
When turned to compost, plant matter is full of beneficial compounds that new plants can utilize for faster growth. If you don’t like cannabis edibles or aren’t getting the effects you want from buds that are already vaped, use the herbs to fuel your garden instead.
- Add your ABV marijuana to a compost heap along with items like fruit scraps, vegetable stems, coffee grounds, grass, bark chips and dry leaves.
- Add a bit of water to the compost heap. The mixture should be slightly moist, but don’t add so much water that you’ll risk drowning beneficial organisms.
- Stir the heap regularly for several months to keep air circulating through it.
- When your compost is dry and brown, spread it over your garden before planting your crops.
Read More: Learn everything you’ve ever wanted to know about vaping dry herbs. Read our ultimate Guide